Thursday, May 31, 2012

I'm Getting Healthy!

Hi Everyone!!

Today is day 4 of a seriously restrictive diet and cleanse.  It hasn't been too bad, but for some reason when someone tells you that you are not allowed to eat everything you usually eat, it really makes you want to eat those foods even more.  Let me backtrack a little to explain how I ended up in this situation.

After the donor backed out and then we decided to put the donor IVF on hold for a while, I started feeling like I wanted to see someone else.  I wouldn't say I necessarily wanted a second opinion, more that I wanted a doctor who would look at my whole body, not just one little part of it.  So, I found a naturopathic doctor who specializes in fertility issues.  She also does acupuncture and practices Chinese medicine.  My first appointment with her was in April and it was the best doctor's appointment I have ever had.  She sat in her office talking to me for almost 2 hours!  She took notes, asked questions, and went over all of my medical history with me.  She made me feel like my case isn't as bad as I think it is.  My reasons for going to her were not to fix my infertility issues, but more to get myself healthy.  I started to realize that I was headed in the opposite direction of where I need to be if I want to be pregnant someday.  I was drinking too much, eating more and more unhealthy, gaining weight and just generally didn't feel good.

She had me do a food diary for a week.  The next couple of weeks that I saw her, we didn't really talk about it.  She did acupuncture, put me on some Chinese herbs, and prescribed massage.  It was wonderful, but I knew that the day would come that we would have to address the eating.  Well that day came last week when I met with the nutritionist in their office.  I pretty much wanted to cry when she was giving me the list of food I was not allowed to eat, because it pretty much included everything that I ate! For 14 days I am on a gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, corn free, coffee free, alcohol free, sugar free, basically everything free diet.  I can eat all the veggies I want, all the fruit I want (minus oranges for some strange reason), chicken, fish or turkey, brown rice products and potatoes.  Thankfully I am on no portion restrictions.  With all the healthy eating, I also have to take this absolutely disgusting protein powder stuff twice a day.  The powder is the actual cleanse and it kind of reminds me of baby formula powder.  It's gross.

BTW, after 3 days of not eating any of the above mentioned foods, I've actually gained a pound! Ugh! I was really hoping that a huge benefit of this would be to lose weight. Maybe I need to give it a little more time...


Only 10 more days to go! I think I can, I think I can!

Stay tuned.

~Tonya


2 comments:

Becky said...

You can do it!! I bet you'll feel amazing when this is over. Or super grouchy. I'm betting on feeling better!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you and please keep us posted on how it goes! I've been interested in seeing a naturopathic doctor for a few years now but I'm just too cheap to go to someone not covered by insurance. Hearing more about your experiences might help me make the leap - so please keep blogging!
<3 Dena

The Animas House

I will never forget the first time I walked into the Animas House seven years ago. I walked in, saw the view and was in awe. But I also walk...