Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Thoughts about the 2012 AZ Walk of Hope

Hi Everyone!

This post is a couple weeks overdue, but I still wanted to let you all know how the Walk of Hope went and share some of my thoughts. I think the day was a success in terms of the number of people there and the money raised. That's a huge deal and I thank everyone who came and supported us in what we are trying to accomplish.

I was very nervous to speak so the morning is a bit of a blur. I was one of three people who spoke and once I got up there I felt great. I really think I'm getting better and better at speaking in public. I never would have thought I'd be saying that. Very strange. Anyway, to be honest, I was a little annoyed while I was up there. As I stood there, sharing some very personal stuff, I looked around and saw people talking. They were having side conversations while I was giving my very short speech! This is one of my pet peeves. I think it is so disrespectful and rude to talk while someone else is speaking. Especially about something so very personal. That was frustrating, but I felt like my speech was good!

Overall, I felt like the event had a very different feel to it than the one in Atlanta last year. I've thought about the reasons for this difference a lot in the past couple of weeks and I'm still not sure I can accurately describe what I mean. The best way I can say it is that Atlanta, Georgia is a very different place than Scottsdale, Arizona. The people last year in Atlanta were so welcoming to me. I really felt like they listened and cared about what I was saying. They talked to me and thanked me for speaking. This year, was very different. I was expecting that strong feeling of community that I felt last year, and I didn't feel it. Now I think there are so many reasons and variables for this difference. I'm not saying that the people who were at the AZ Walk don't care, I just think it's a different culture.

What I've really come to realize is that if it would have been someone else up there speaking, I probably wouldn't have walked up to her and said anything afterward either. I would have done the same exact thing that all those people did. It's an interesting realization and one that has got me thinking that I want to work on being more friendly. I don't smile at people when they walk by. I don't say hi to people I pass. I'm too busy talking to myself (I realize that makes me sound really crazy! Ha), thinking about my own life or looking at my phone, to take a second and greet someone else. The other thing that I've noticed and I think is even worse, is that I will actually go out of my way to avoid people sometimes. People that I actually know! This is slightly disturbing to me and I'm not sure why I do it.

It's all made me wonder if it's true that people in the South really are more friendly and if they are, why? In my very limited experience they are and I want to work on being more like them. It's also made me wonder about our society as a whole. We are all so busy with our lives. I wonder how many other people do what I do and don't even realize it. It's a very interesting observation and something I am going to work on improving within myself.

Here is my speech if you would like to watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRCvAC7ZlvY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for reading and Stay tuned!

~Tonya

4 comments:

My Blog aka Therapy said...

I loved your speech! You are right you are a great speaker and made to do this! I do not know what you are going through and I won't pretend do but do know others that are going through it and just wanted to thank you for being so vulnerable and honest and doing what you are doing! AMAZING! Praying for you and Ryan!

pamela Negri-Lenzen said...

Your speech ROCKED!!! I'm sad you didn't get the respect you deserved from the audience.

I think that when you face real adversity, real lasting, chronic, unsolvable adversity you become naturally more raw and open. Especially now that another year has passed, I can understand you really wanting to connect with people in Arizona and I can't understand why they wouldn't have been more tuned in. Maybe they're early in their journey or just plain cliquish.

Hope it doesn't keep you from feeling like you're entitled to avoid people when you want to (sometimes we just need to do that) & continuing to feel connected to Resolve! xoxoxo

Tonya said...

Thanks ladies! I feel like the more time that goes on, the stronger and more passionate I become about infertility. I wrote that speech the night before!

Aunt Phyllis said...

Hey Tonya! You looked like a pro up there! As long as you speak from the heart,you can't go wrong!
I know you will make a big difference in Arizona. Just be patient and keep doing what you're doing. Afterall, God chose YOU for a reason.
Btw,I talk to myself all the time. I thought everyone did that. lol

Love,
Aunt Phyllis

The Animas House

I will never forget the first time I walked into the Animas House seven years ago. I walked in, saw the view and was in awe. But I also walk...