Thursday, February 16, 2012

Arizona Walk of Hope

Hi Everyone!

I've wanted to write this post for awhile now, but being sick and then vacation kind of got in the way.

I want to talk a little bit about the Walk of Hope. Some of you know that last year I participated in a contest that RESOLVE was putting on and I won a trip to Atlanta to walk in their Walk of Hope. I was also asked to give a speech while in Atlanta, which was a huge honor. At that time we hadn't known about our diagnosis for that long and I was just so relieved to find RESOLVE and know that other people were dealing with the same things that we were. Being diagnosed with infertility can be an extremely isolating diagnosis. Unlike other diseases, people are very hesitant to talk about their inability to have a child. Did you know that infertility affects 1 in 8 couples? That's about 7.3 million people in the U.S. alone. Look around, that's someone you know. That's more than just me. But some days, it feels like we are the only ones. I look around and see all of these people I know announcing pregnancies or having babies and it is hard. On one hand, I'm so happy for these people. I've always loved babies and been super excited when I hear that someone is having one. On the other hand, I am horribly, painfully jealous and sometimes even angry. I don't like these feelings at all, but it's such a part of my situation right now.

It's really hit me this week that we are going to be passed up. More and more of our friends and family members are going to be starting families. The feelings of isolation are only going to get worse. Once you have a baby, everything changes. Your whole world shifts and your focus is on the little human being you brought into the world. You see things through different eyes. I want that! I'm not sure when we will actually get that. And watching more and more people we know get that can be extremely difficult. Most of you don't know, but I lead a monthly infertility support group through RESOLVE. I found the support group last year and after going a few of times I volunteered to lead it when the previous leader decided to step down. Obviously it helps so much to be able to get together with people who share my feelings, can relate and sympathize.

Ok, I went on a little tangent there, apparently I needed to get that all out. Oh the roller-coaster of emotions that is infertility! So, you can see how important RESOLVE has been in my life. To have an organization whose sole purpose is to be a resource for those diagnosed with infertility is amazing. They raise money and awareness. They work on educating the politicians and government so that laws will be changed and infertility will be recognized as a disease that needs to be covered by insurance. My dream is to someday work for RESOLVE.

Now, about the Arizona Walk of Hope. RESOLVE and the volunteers here in Arizona are putting on the Walk of Hope on March 24th at Eldorado Park in Scottsdale. Registration begins at 8am and the Walk starts at 9am. All activities will be completed by 11am. This year it is free to participate in the walk. Like last year, I am trying to raise money for RESOLVE. I have set up a page and am asking all my friends and family and anyone who can to donate money to this very worthy organization. I was also asked by RESOLVE this year to make a short video about why I walk. A clip of the video is posted on the Arizona Walk of Hope home page. I will also add a link to the full video on here.

I don't usually like to ask people for money, but for this I am going to. If you can donate anything at all I would really really appreciate it. This money will go to RESOLVE to help them keep doing what they are doing.

To donate, go here and click on "Support Tonya"
http://familybuilding.resolve.org/site/TR/WalkofHope2012/WalkofHope?px=1990337&pg=personal&fr_id=1080

To watch my youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZzx4qF74UE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And if anyone wants to come out to Eldorado Park on March 24th to walk with us, I would love to have you there!

Thanks,
Tonya

1 comment:

April Alviar said...

I would love to walk and support you but I have to work Saturdays. Sorry

The Animas House

I will never forget the first time I walked into the Animas House seven years ago. I walked in, saw the view and was in awe. But I also walk...