Thursday, September 8, 2011

Isn't it ironic?

Hi again! Two days in a row! Cool!

I had to write about this because I just thought it was so ridiculous, funny and ironic. But before I go into my story, I want to preface it. Please remember, while reading this, that I am infertile. I am writing this from my current perspective. I don't think the world should revolve around me and absolutely don't expect people to change what they do. My goal, with this blog, is to help people understand what it is like to live everyday with infertility. If that maybe makes someone a little more aware of what they say or do and how it affects people, then that is awesome. Infertility sucks, but I've gotten very good at seeing the humor in it all.

When you are infertile, not a day goes by that something doesn't remind you of the fact that you can't have a baby. There are the obvious reminders. Pregnant women and babies EVERYWHERE. Pictures of super cute babies all over the place. This recent Facebook "game" to raise awareness for breast cancer. I'm not sure how posting a fake pregnancy announcement helps bring awareness to breast cancer, but I can tell you, it did not make me think, "Wow, look at all these people doing good for beast cancer by pretending to be pregnant. Go team breasts!" Even fake pregnancy announcements can sting for someone who can't have a baby. Then there are things that are not as obvious, but to me, are still reminders. Things such as my teacher asking, "Who has kids in here? Raise your hand." I feel like there is a blinking neon sign above my head that says, "Infertile! Can't have kids." Or having to read some research about a new science called epigenetics. The title of the article is Why Your DNA isn't Your Destiny. I have to use donor eggs, so I've been doing a lot of thinking about genetics and DNA. It is incredibly interesting stuff and I really want to learn more about it, but how could I not think about my situation while reading that? I'm not saying that this was a bad reminder, it was just a reminder.

All of that brings me to the reason for this post and specifically the title. Two weeks ago my teacher started talking about this activity we were going to do. She told us that she was going to give us all a "baby" and we had to take good care of it (see, another reminder! This was the first day of class people!). We were supposed to bring something, about the size of our hand, to class to take home our "baby". So last Wednesday I go to class with an old cell phone box with some tissue paper in it. My teacher comes to class with a carton of eggs and some markers. We were told to grab an egg and create our "baby" with the markers. Then we were told that we were supposed to take that "baby" with us everywhere and when we got upset about something we were supposed to mark on our "baby" with a permanent marker. Now I totally understand the reason for this assignment, and it did help me to be more conscious of why I got angry. When you have to create marks for every time you get upset, it makes you think about why you are getting upset in the first place. Plus it was a very visible reminder. I did not carry my "baby" with me everywhere I went, but I did keep track of the times I got mad. I just couldn't really get into this assignment, which I think is totally understandable. As I was walking to class last night with my egg "baby" it dawned on me. This teacher gave an egg "baby" to a person that can't have babies because she doesn't have any eggs. So I repeat, isn't it ironic? Ha ha

Here is a picture of my egg "baby" in his cell phone box home. I named him Logan.


 P.S. I'm really sorry if you now have that song in your head.

 ~Tonya


6 comments:

Chris said...

"Go Team Breasts!!!!"

Your baby looks just like Ryan...

Pamela Negri Lenzen said...

Third runner up Pam Negri here :) Saw you in the newsletter. Totally thrilled for you! Love your blog and will be following. I have to say I'm a little annoyed for you, about the whole egg/baby thing. Sounds like your Proff. could use an FYI that infertility is something to consider b4 giving assignments like this. Using an egg is a popular thing to do in high schools but I don't think fertility is much of a concern there!ha! I have my ms in education so I know good teachers want to be made aware of their bias and their demographic. With 1 in 8 couples dealing with this your Proff WILL have other students in the same boat as you. Not suggesting you ball her out but maybe just let her know the statistic and how the assignment affected you. Like you said, gotta raise awareness!!! Gotta get good grades too so I don't mean to put pressure on you!!! We all have to do what feels comfortable during this battle we're in, but it's only the beginning of the year so who knows how many more "baby" lesson plans she'll throw at you!LOL Congrats again...

Tonya said...

Hi Pam!! Thank you so much! I was a little annoyed myself and I think I will take your advice and let her know. It's true that she will most definitely have other people in other classes who will be in the same boat. And it is all about raising awareness! I hope you are doing well. Thanks again for reading and commenting!

Tonya said...

Thanks Mom! I try to keep a sense of humor about it all.

jen said...

Hi Tonya
I am 45 years old and, thankfully, 6 years on the "other side" of my infertility journey, but I was a RESOLVE volunteer for a while and so I read the newsletters and saw your info and decided to check out your blog since I am thinking of getting back to writing. I just want to congratulate you on your openness and your ability to laugh. This will help you and your husband as you make your way through what can be a challenging (and someday, I promise you, now matter how you do it, rewarding)journey. I will tune in to see how you are doing and in the meantime, stay strong, continue to be a positive and powerful voice. Good for you.
Jennifer

Bridget said...

I am on the "other side" of IF, thanks to Randine Lewis. PLEASE check her out if you haven't yet. thefertilesoul.com. She does chinese medicine and can address issues like yours. I had severe endo, along with high FSH and diminished ovarian reserve. After a major surgery, I failed a second IVF (got only one egg). But during that time I was doing acupuncture and living the way she recommends (diet, supplements, relaxation techniques, etc.). I got pregnant on my own and shocked the heck out of my doctors who swore it could never happen. (We also had male factor - my husband also took supplements and changed lifestyle). I've known several people to have success with her. (I actually had a second child as well, while continuing to follow her "teachings")

Best of luck to you on your journey. It's indescribably painful and tough, as you know. To a happy ending.....however it comes about.

Bridget

The Animas House

I will never forget the first time I walked into the Animas House seven years ago. I walked in, saw the view and was in awe. But I also walk...